History of the Department
Archaeological evidences have brought forth the fact that Nepal had been a land of pre-historic human activities since the onset of human evolution but historic references so far can take our history to more or less 2000 years back. However, written Chronicles and historic literature drafted at different times point out to the concrete fact that Nepal’s history goes far beyond 2000 years.
In academic discourses, modern approach to the teaching and learning of history began in 1811 A.D. As such, Culture and History were introduced in 1959 as academia in Tribhuvan University. In the initiation phase, History and Political Science were taught in the same department as a combined discipline whereas Sanskrit and Culture were combined and taught in another department. In 1964, History and Culture were incorporated under one same department. Four years later in 1968, History and Culture began to be taught separately through different departments.
First named as Department of Culture, the department provided academic support on subjects like Indian History, Religion and Philosophy but eventually the department was again renamed as Ancient History, Culture and Archaeology . Course –subjects were then incorporated accordingly. Progressively, Bachelors (B.A.) and Intermediate (I.A) levels were introduced in the course of time. 1963 was a remarkable year for us. Dr. S.B. Deo came here as a teaching faculty under the Colombo Plan and with his initiatives, this department along with the then H.M. Department of Archaeology, carried out excavation activates in archaeologically potential sites like Banjarahi and Chaurasiya. In 1965-66 such similar types of excavations were carried out in Haadigaon too. Since then, the department of Nepalese history, Culture and Archaeology has been successfully carrying out archaeological exploration in different parts of Nepal. Dr. Ram Niwas Pandey, former Professor of the department also had carried out archaeological exploration in the Lumbini -Kaplivastu region in 1965. During 1967-1969, a report was prepared after carrying out archaeological exploration in Dullu, Dailekh, Banjharhi and Surkhet districts of Bheri Zone . In 1966 under the initiation of this department, an archaeological exhibition was held successfully. On this auspicious occasion, the then His Majesty King Mahendra Bir Bikram Shah Deva had made his honorable presence in the observation Program.
Teaching faculties related to this department have brought forth numerous books, articles and researches that significantly contribute to the study of culture, society, archaeology, iconography, epigraphy, tourism and so on. Since 1979. an academic Journal “Nepalese Culture” has been published by the department in series . Since its cradle stage, the Central Department of Nepalese History, Culture and Archaeology has been successful to establish its reputation and legacy for bringing forth many experts on nation’s peculiar cultural traditions, history, archaeology, museology, tourism and other related disciplines of Nepalese Culture. The Central Department of Nepalese History, Culture and Archaeology consistently works together with international universities, institutions and networks for bringing concrete impacts on tangible and intangible cultural heritages of various regions. Recently, our department has become a member of APEN-ICH, a joint network of dozen of reputed universities and institutions of the Asia- Pacific region.